Module: AG0982A - Creative Research

This blog documents my 3rd year research project at Abertay University. The focus of my research is on video game progression, tutorial design, and how to teach the player. My vision statement could be stated as such:

A game often needs to gradually introduce its mechanics and skills to the player. This needs to be done at such a pace that the player is neither anxious nor bored, and needs to be clear without sacrificing challenge. How can this balance be achieved? To investigate this, I've created a simple puzzle game, and released it to a sample of players. I can use data from their feedback to improve my game.

This issue came to my interest when I noticed that many games do a superb job of gradually teaching a player how to master a complicated system (such as Portal), while many other - often more complicated - games are lacking in comfortable and effective tutorship (such as Crusader Kings II), forcing players to resort to online wiki reading, and YouTube guides.

Thursday 24 September 2015

Research Into Learning Curves and Player Metrics

For my creative research project, I'm interested in looking at how difficulty and learning function in video games. I'd like to examine the learning curves, experience curves, and other elements of difficulty in several games. Ideally, I'd like to try and uncover which types of curves and rates make for the ideal level of challenge in a game, with as little frustration or boredom as possible.

I'd also like to look into player metrics, to uncover tried and tested methods of measuring difficult concepts, such as learning, experience, and difficulty. If possible, I'd like to run primary test rounds on players, gathering data on their progression and how they feel the game is going. To do this, it would be ideal to have access to games with notable tutorial styles, such as Super Mario or Portal, but I'd also be interested in creating my own game - such as a simple puzzle game or platformer - and testing its tutorial capabilities.

Areas of note for me to research, so far, include classical learning and experience curves as seen in psychology, Will Wright's take on learning curves, the psychological model of Flow, and information on player metrics such as Seif El-Nasr's Game Analytics.

By the end of this project, I hope to have some answers to questions such as;
- Is player learning in a game constant, constantly increasing, or exponential?
- What constitutes a general ideal learning rate in a game?
- How can this ideal be implemented? How is this difficult to do?
- Can mathematical models describe certain useful learning curves?
- What methods are best for gathering player data?

As an aspiring video game designer, my ultimate goal is a practical, applicable experience in instilling the correct difficulty progression in a video game.

No comments:

Post a Comment